Monday, June 17, 2013

Battle of the Exfoliants

Exfoliation is one of the musts of caring for your skin. Dead skin cells can build up on your face, clogging pores and causing breakouts. Exfoliants scrub away all the dead skins cells, revealing more smooth and healthy skin. I've tried a number of exfoliants over the years, but there are two that I've tried that have great reviews all across the internet. I'm going to review those two exfoliants for you to maybe make it easier for you to choose one.

First up: 
Philosophy Resurface Microdelivery Peel


The peel is an easy two-step system. However, it costs a hefty $69 at Sephora. 


The first step is applying these yellow crystals all over a clean, dry face. The crystals can be a bit rough,  but as long as you massage the crystals in softly, it's not too bad. The scent is also very fresh with a hint of citrus. 


The next step is to apply this clear gel. As you can see from the photo, it's very runny, but it's still thicker than water. You massage this gel over the crystals, and the combination warms up a bit. Some of you might not like this, but personally, I do. It makes me feel like the stuff is actually working. After washing everything off, my skin definitely feels smoother and cleaner. Overall, a good product, but no miracle worker. 

Peter Thomas Roth's Laser-Free Retexturizer


The Retexturizer is a one-step system. It costs $38 at Sephora. Almost half the price of the philosophy exfoliant!



The scrub is a thick reddish-purple liquid with tiny beads that scrub away dead skin cells. This is definitely more gentle than the philosophy crystals. You spread this on wet skin and massage into your face. Then, leave the product on for 3 to 7 minutes, depending on your skins sensitivity. By 7 minutes, my skin tingles, so if you have sensitive skin, under 7 minutes is probably better for you. 

So which is the better scrub? The Peter Thomas Roth Laser-Free Retexturizer. Not just because it's more gentle. Not just because it's one step instead of two. But because of the results. When I first started using this scrub, I had a lot of acne scars and redness. I had tried tons of scar-fading scrubs, but none of them seemed to help. But this... I could see results after the first time I tried it! Once I finally had skin I was proud of, I stopped using it. But a few months later had a bad breakout, and was again, left with some acne marks. I tried the Philosophy peel because I wanted to try something new. While the peel did make my skin feel smooth, it had absolutely no affect on my acne scars. I went out and bought my proven Peter Thomas Roth Retexturizer, and was again, sold on it. If you have acne scars, definitely try this product, or if you're just looking for a nice exfoliator. 

Happy trials,
-Erica

P.S. Do you have a favorite exfoliant? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment